Day 1 Volunteering: Behind the Castle Desk

All volunteers are required to serve their first day on the job at the Castle answering visitors' general Smithsonian questions. This past Saturday just happened to be my first day behind the info desk. It was really a lot of fun talking to so many people from all over and getting to work with some veteran volunteers. And good news was that I only screwed up once and there were only two crises. 


Crisis #1: A little girl got separated from her mom and was really upset and crying. I gave her a tissue and told her to sit down while I looked around for her mom. Turns out she was sitting in the Castle gift shop reading a magazine. Ummm excuse me woman, I think you forgot something important. Did you not realize?!! Ultimately I pointed her out to the girl and they were reunited. She did not come back to the info desk and I didn’t get a thank you.
:-/

Crisis #2: A young woman put some coins in the tampon machine and no tampons came out in her time of need. We called our manager who called maintenance to get her tampon out of there. It was a big deal…for her at least. Our supervisor was all like, “Haven’t gotten that crisis in awhile.”
:p

My screw up: GoSmithsonian brochures cost $2 and someone gave me a five-dollar bill. Normally to buy the brochure you put $2 in the donation box and take one. So I assumed the $5 was a donation because people give us money all the time. So I stuck it in the box. In actuality the gentleman wanted change. Well we don’t give change behind the desk so I was like OMG I’M SO SORRY. I gave him two guides instead of one. Luckily he wasn’t mad but …now I know for next time that people just ignore the box and assume you have change.
O.O!

 ____________________________

Some questions that came up:

Q) Where was Night in the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian filmed? Was Ben Stiller here?
A) Ummmm the movie was filmed in Canada… Ben Stiller was here for a few days to film the outside of the Castle. Most of the stuff in the movie doesn’t exist here because they were sets… Sorry.

Fun Facts: While Ben Stiller was here the Smithsonian asked him to filmed a short informational video, which explains what each of our 19 museums have and what they’re about. We show that film on continuous loop in the Castle theater. I’ve seen it. It’s got some really lame humor that Ben Stiller is known for. Also, you can actually buy an Einstein bobble head at Air and Space.

Q) Where can I catch a bus to ______? Can I take a bus to ______?
A) …

I have no idea about buses or tour-mobiles or anything strictly for tourists. Smithsonian volunteers aren’t required to know anything about those things. But unfortunately EVERYONE at the Castle wants to know about them. Because of this I’ve learned that tourists just really dislike walking. Now I’m a college girl and am used to walking for like a few miles to get somewhere. So from the Castle to the Lincoln memorial is nothing to me. However, it’s a real reality check for some people when we tell them that there is no metro or bus route that lead to the Lincoln. Although I keep reminding everyone that Capital Bike-Share is always an option. Just be very careful if you don’t have a helmet.

Q) I have no idea where I want to go. Is this building THE Smithsonian? Where should I be?
A) The Smithsonian comprises of 19 different museums. What are you interested in?
Reply) I don’t know!
A)   ….. (This is when I launch into a huge spiel about all the different museums and practically talked their head off. I may have potentially confused them more because there is just SO MUCH to say about each museum. But it’s not my fault they didn’t know what they liked.)

Q) I have 20 minutes. What should I see?
A) Uhhhh only 20 minutes?! Uh that might not be enough time to see anything. But what are you interested in?
Reply) I don't know!
A)   Uhhh my spiel could take twenty minutes trying to explain everything to you...

I have developed a go to answer for situations like this. I ask, “Science, History, or Art?”
For science you have: Natural History and Air & Space
For history you have: American History, American Art and Portrait Gallery (history of America told through art), American Indian, Postal
For art you have everything else: American Art and Portrait Gallery, Hirshorn, Freer/Sackler, African Art, and Renwick Gallery.

Q) Where is the really old stuff?
A) Uhhh we’re in a museum. Everything is old. Exactly what do you mean?
Q) You know! THE REALLY OLD STUFF! Like the first sewing machine and washer and dryer…
A)... We have the first working sewing machine in the American Art Patent exhibit. I don’t think we have the first washing machine…
Q) American Art? I don’t want a picture of it! I want to see it.
A) No there is a whole exhibit within American Art based on the first patented inventions. I’m sure there’s some really old stuff in American History too…

O.o!

Sometimes we also get people who ask for things that were on display like 5 years ago. Truth of the matter is that only 5% of all the things the Smithsonian owns is on display at one given time. So yeah, it was on display 5 years ago but most likely not on display now. And the museums undergo so many different renovations that things change a lot. Shrug Sorry.

_______________________

My successful first day has made me really excited to start my position in African Art. Don’t know when I’ll have my orientation there yet but I’ve contacted my supervisor and we’re going to work out a date to start. I’ll let you know. So excited!!!!!!

P.S. I’ve seen Night in the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian. It wasn’t very good and didn’t do a good job highlighting all the cool stuff we have. I was disappointed. :(


posted under |

2 comments:

Kayla said... [Reply to comment]

Your blog makes me laugh a lot! I applaud you For doing this...I don't think I could deal with these people and their stupid questions

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

@Kayla Thanks Kayla for being like my one loyal reader. Haha. In our Smithy training we learned that all visito questions are legit but that doesn't mean they're correct or smart. :p

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Recent News

2/23/12 Officially learned that I'll be starting my volunteer post at the National Museum of African Art on March 10th. 1/18/12 NEW BLOG DESIGN AND LAYOUT!!!

About Me

My photo
Elizabeth is a recent graduate from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, receiving a B.A. in Mathematics. Soon after wards, she moved from a smaller county in S.W. VA to a busy city in the NOVA metro area for her job. Through her love of learning and tourist attractions, she has decided to start volunteering with the Smithsonian museums. This blog will record her experiences volunteering as well as her thoughts on various museums or exhibits (or anything touristy really). "Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope it makes you want to visit D.C. sometime. If not, maybe it can inspire you to become a fake tourist in your own town (or a museum volunteer)."